Saturday, December 3, 2011

What size is Ana?

Miss Anabear is rather skinny and long, so she's been a little tricky to size for a while. I made up a simple white dress to match her sisters, but I got rather worried when it was done that it was too big for her!

This is a size 6 Simplicity 2989, the same dress I love making as seen in One Hardworking Pattern. Again, I used some leftover silk shantung for the fashion fabric and lined it in silk crepe de chine.

Ana dress

It's a very simple style here, with lace on the hem and puffed sleeves. Love the sheen of the shantung.

first dress

But I kept holding it up & feeling like it was just a little too large for the teensy bear, so I decided that since I still had oodles of silk left, I'd make something a bit smaller.

So here is my very first Ottobre! It's dress #25, "Chopin, rose patterned twirly dress" from Summer 2010. I left off the roses & the belt, but I did like the tucks on the bodice, as it adds a nice little touch. It's originally sleeveless, so I added in some little puff sleeves edged in lace. Same as all the others, it is white silk shantung lined in white silk crepe de chine... soooooo much fun to sew up! This stuff is like a dream to sew.

Ottobre Summer 2010 - Dress 25
lace
pleats

And of course I had a good laugh when I was done, the two dresses are nearly the same size! Oh well, she will wear them at some point if they are too big right now! And until I see the nieces, I have a pile of silk dresses on my chair:

pile of dresses

6 comments:

BeeBee said...

Both dresses are beautiful, hopefully one will fit (sometime?). I've never sewn silk like that - you make me want to try. I've gone the other direction this weekend, I'm making a tree skirt out of felt, faux fur and pleather. Fun, but not so elegant.

SEWN said...

They're just gorgeous. I wonder which she'll wear first. :) It must be so nice to work with your wedding silks. Such beautiful memories.

ACorgiHouse said...

Both are beautiful, but I LOVE the twirly! K

gMarie said...

Lovely dresses and very lucky little girls. g

Joy said...

Both dresses are lovely! I'm sure you niece will love wearing them.

Carolyn said...

So pretty! I'm sure the lucky recipient will be just thrilled with these gorgeous dresses!